What is an Art Director?
We make advertisements across a multitude of channels look amazing through the use of design, colour, photography, illustration and more. We tend to be people who love painting, drawing, taking photos, and other visual ways of expressing ourselves.
“There’s no such thing as a ‘typical day’ (which I love!). Some days I’m brainstorming with my writing partner, some days I’m rocking out to music while photoshopping, and other days I’m on set or editing.”
Thinking about becoming an Art Director?
Explore some of the skills you’ll need
to prepare for the role.
- Drawing, sketching, design
- Understanding colour theory
- Being able to adapt and learn new digital programs
- Ability to use platforms like Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, Illustrator
- Ability to think conceptually and visually
- Communication skills
- Multitasking abilities
- Portfolio to showcase artistic abilities
If you think a job as an Art Director might be right for you, print off your Job Report and take it to a parent, teacher or guidance counsellor to talk about what your next steps should be.